In part one of this two part series, The Value of Timely Preventative and Wellness Visits and Procedures, we shared data that supports the value of preventative care and wellness visits – to the patient and the healthcare entity. Here, we’ll focus on best practices for engaging patients in preventative care education, appointment setting and recall campaigns.
Preventive health care spans many areas: well check exams, lab orders, early detection exams, vaccinations, testing and more. Keys to impactful preventative care engagement include:
- Broadcasting health education
- Delivering timely, personalized reminders
- Patient-driven appointment setting
- On-going care communication
Deploying a Proven Preventive Care and Wellness Visit Campaign
Encouraging patients to return to the healthcare system for vaccinations, annual exams, and routine visits should be a part of every medical facility’s outreach strategy. Current research indicates that patients are open, familiar and eager to engage with their healthcare systems and providers using digital technologies including SMS and email.
- 292 million healthcare patients in the U.S. are using text messaging.
- 90% of patients value automated communication.
- 69% of patients want extra care reminders and updates.
Automating personalized patient engagement via SMS and email systems meet patients where they are comfortable and eases the burden of the provider. Further, the most effective automation platforms allow providers to utilize their EHR as the center point for all communication and patient-initiated appointment setting. Simple automation supports broadcast messaging and personalized text messaging at scale. Chat-bots help patients and providers connect and clear up confusion and closed-loop appointment setting syncs with the EHR without any additional steps.
Proven Best Practices
- Use current institution data to track and account for the most commonly missed appointments. Then, build wellness visit and recall campaigns to get patients back on track.
- Leverage multi-modal communications - phone, SMS text, and email with personalized messages. Studies show multi-modal and personalized communication increases recall and reminder effectiveness.
- Provide open opportunities for patients to ask questions and take action by providing links, live transfers, and self-scheduling options. SMS is an excellent choice for this type of closed-loop and chat-initiated messaging.
- Reach patients when prevention is top of mind. Every month is an opportunity to start a more targeted outreach campaign based on the month and season.
- Choose a communications platform that is deeply integrated with your EHR. This ensures accurate, real-time appointment setting, and clean reporting.
There are many opportunities to re-engage patients and ensure their preventive and wellness visits, screenings, and vaccinations are on track. With today’s technology, and a strategic, evidence-based approach, you can demonstrate your practice’s commitment to your patients’ long-term health and care.
Click here to download the eBook: Bringing Patients Back to Preventive Care
Ready to learn more about how Intrado can help you optimize your preventive care patient outreach or other routine care services? Contact us today.