Keeping Employees Safe and Productive During Challenging Times
March 19, 2020
By Julie Kent-Ransom
Mathematician and bestselling author, John Allen Paulos, once said, “Uncertainty is the only certainty there is, and knowing how to live with insecurity is the only security.”
This sentiment rings especially true today. The global impact of COVID-19 (Coronavirus disease) demands an added dimension of agility and flexibility from businesses. For many organizations, this has meant implementing workplace social distancing measures such as replacing in-person meetings with video conferences and implementing remote work policies in effort to keep employees safe and productive.
As organizations around the world pivot to embrace today’s realities, proactively planning for a remote workforce can help ensure business continuity in the face of natural disaster or global emergency.
Intrado Supports Remote Work
Successful expansion of remote work policies hinges on adequately provisioning employees with the tools necessary to support anytime, anywhere collaboration and productivity. As a leader in enterprise collaboration with more than 30 years of expertise, Intrado is here to support your growing needs.
Our video-first meeting and team collaboration solutions are easy to use, reliable and available across the globe. And, our network and platforms are scaled to handle the increased traffic required to support expanded customer needs.
Effective Virtual Collaboration
For business leaders tasked with leading a remote workforce, keeping teams productive and on-task is key. Here are a few tips to ensure your virtual collaboration sessions are effective:
BEFORE THE MEETING
Stay organized and be prepared for your meeting:
- Notify your participants of the date and time of your meeting. With today’s high demand for remote meetings, think about starting your meeting at a quarter hour vs. at the top or bottom of the hour.
- Communicate any items that need to be prepared prior to the meeting and send an agenda to all participants.
- Be sure you are in a quiet, comfortable location where you will not be disturbed and try to minimize background noise.
- Invest in a noise cancelling headset or headphones to help keep you focused and on task.
- For video calls, check your background and remove any clutter or distractions. Try facing a window for natural light or have a lamp nearby so your team can clearly see you on video.
DURING THE MEETING
Keep you meeting on-track by engaging your participants and keeping them informed of upcoming tasks and deadlines.
- Begin your meeting in a timely manner with introductions and a review of the agenda.
- Ask for feedback from specific participants instead of the entire group.
- Table any discussions that are not relevant to the agenda for a later time.
- Share your screen or presentation and using annotation on your content to help keep participants engaged, while ensuring they follow your points.
- Summarize the issues discussed and recap any action items resulting from the call.
AFTER THE MEETING
Take care of you. Being in the office gives teams cues to get coffee together and take breaks. Without in-person social interaction, it’s easy for hours to pass without taking the same breaks you may in an office.
- Take regular moments to stretch out your body.
- Schedule virtual coffee chats with team members in between meetings.
Intrado collaboration experts are available to help you strategize and determine the best ways to deploy solutions to meet your organization’s needs. Contact us today.Return to Blog