According to McKinsey Healthcare Research & Quality, “25-35% of patient vaccinations are not up to date in the US.” The low vaccine uptake indicates an opportunity to connect and educate millions of patients about the positive benefits of taking preventative vaccinations and the vaccines available during a public health crisis.
Whether trying to get patients educated and vaccinated for COVID-19 or keeping families informed and committed to other childhood and adult preventative care vaccinations, automating engagement helps organizations reach more patients more efficiently.
The Role of Automated Engagement in Vaccine Uptake
Automated patient engagement can play an efficient and essential role by helping makers and providers inform their patients, at scale, with educational materials and information about availability and eligibility. The CDC agrees in a multi-prong approach that includes sharing educational materials with patients:
“…educational materials are intended to complement personal education and advice from the healthcare provider. Informed patients, working together with their healthcare providers, are the key players in keeping themselves and their children healthy and protecting the health of the public.”
Vaccine makers and providers should consider digital patient engagement that delivers messages via SMS to increase successful engagement.
Patient Benefits of Automated Vaccine Campaigns
- Improve the patient experience by connecting via their preferred communications channel.
- Deliver low-pressure education to patients about the benefits of vaccinations.
- Provide educational one-pagers and links right to their SMS feed.
- Provide options within their text message to schedule appointments.
- Reduce no-shows by delivering automated reminders.
- Remind patients of vaccination opportunities throughout their care journey.
Benefits of Automated Vaccine Campaigns to Makers and Providers
- Get patients thinking about vaccinations early.
- Supplement provider campaigns with additional education to combat vaccine hesitancy.
- Reduce communications burden on staff with automated digital outreach at scale.
- Throttle outreach to align with scheduling capacity.
- Reduce no-shows and increase care plan follow-through.
- Automate reminders to promote uptake of multiple doses in a vaccination series.
With more than 292 million smartphone users in the US, this patient-preferred channel offers a low-pressure way to educate, inform and remind. And since SMS messaging engages patients when and how they are most comfortable, patients can also respond when it’s convenient for them. This positive patient experience including digital reminders leads to more appointments with higher follow-through.
More Patient Engagement Resources
- Using Broadcast to Deliver Education at Scale
- Improve Vaccine Uptake with Education and Scheduling
- Creating an Effective Vaccination Reminder Program - Free eBook
Ready to learn more about boosting patient education and uptake of vaccines? Contact us today.